Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Idol Madness

Oh Lord we cast down our idols...

I'll admit it. I got sucked into watching the American Idol finale. I found myself thinking, "Man, the world makes things like this look good." And for a moment, I almost bought into the hype. I can see why over 200 million people were watching tonight. Not that I'm intending to Idol bash, because I do think it is an opportunity for lesser known individuals to compete, and interesting to watch. There have been many talented people that have braved that stage. But the whole premise of someone (or something) being proclaimed an "idol" has never sat well with me.

What's wrong with our society? Every time I try to compile a list and give insight, inevitably I find the finger pointing back at myself. Sin nature has left us all broken and prone to wander away from the One who created us and pursues us with every moment. The fall of man was no small event and we are all affected by it as we struggle to overcome our worldly desires and pursue the things of God.

So beyond all the incredible production and lights and fanfare, after the hundreds of millions of eyes that watched the finale tonight turn their attention to the next big thing, and when we are left with just ourselves and the quiet of a night...what can we speak for? Fame can be a very empty thing. Happiness seems most elusive to those who are at the top. I always wonder how people live life without God and call themselves fulfilled. And I'm thinking "What about that gaping hole you've been ignoring for all these years?"

Sin has numbing power. We've all experienced it. I've seen this numbness take over the lives of several people who have been close to me (and some who have come back around to tell the story of redemption.) It makes us forget how desperately we need God, the One whose image we were created in, the only One who can truly lead us down the path we were meant to be on. No television show could provide that for someone, this is for certain.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir (or just to myself, now that I think of it.) But all I know is that my passion is stirred even more for the hearts of this nation. Granted I do want to see as much of this world as I can, what good are if we can't reach those right next to us?

God let us be a generation that seeks Your face, O God of Jacob...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home