Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Unknown

It used to plague me...not knowing what will happen next. Or worse yet, I thought I had it all figured out, and then something unexpected comes. I was talking with one of my closest friends Luci tonight and she told me that the only thing she expects now is the unexpected (as is evidenced by certain developments in her oh-so-vivacious existence.)

And the age old paradox lives on that the only thing constant in this world is change. Mind you, though God is very present in our world, He is, indeed, otherly.

I cannot prevent much of anything from happening. Two months ago, I thought I knew what I was going to be doing over the next 6 months. I'll tell you this, friends: it's all changed. God has brought so many unforseen changes that really have nothing to do with circumstance or logic. He tends to defy those every day, but sometimes I'm too blind to noitce. Those of you who know me well understand exactly what I mean.

And for the first time in a very long time, I'm completely content with the unknown. Not because I am denying that there comes a time when I need a plan...but because I'm not the one making the plan. I'm just following in the well-worn path my Father has made for me. I'm doing my part. I'm pulling my weight. I'm making the decisions He wants me to and using my head. But in the end, He is the one who opens doors. It's a humbling place to be, when all you've done is all you can do.

If there is one thing I have learned, it's this: Genuine humility begins with a willingness to be broken. And brokeness, in the context of God's love and secuirty, is full of beauty, power, vulnerability and emotion.

So I challenge you, regardless of where you are or what your state of being is, to rest in the unknown, because ultimately You rest in the arms of a Father who knows all. He hears the cry of your heart. He hasn't forgotten. His everlasting arms will hold you up in the fire of trial and the midst of battle.

Recite with me these simple words: I don't know, and that's okay.

2 Comments:

Blogger beyond the dimensions said...

These are good reflections. Thanks! Carry On!

11:17 AM  
Blogger bingo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home