Monday, December 10, 2007

It's a war zone!

7 crazy things that have happened in the past 3 days [as a result of the nasty ice storm that doesn't want to let up]:

1. The power went out yesterday right as Mr. Bingley was about to propose to Jane! Oh the suspense! (I've seen Pride and Prejudice at least half a dozen times.)

2. My friend Caleb's car got completely destroyed by ice-covered branches that fell on it.

3. The power went out AGAIN at 1 a.m. and I woke up to the sound of electrical discharge from powerlines somewhere down the road from my apartment. I've never heard anything like it. We saw the sky flicker blue last night as we were driving, too, from another downed powerline and/or exploding transformer.

4. It took me 15 minutes to even get my car door open this morning (oh, the wonders I've accomplished with a table knife in hand) and another 30 minutes to scrape enough ice off to even see where I was going. I think I need a bigger scraper.

5. My furnace, water heater, fridge, stove and everything else electric have no juice, and they say it may be til Wednesday before we get power back. I have a fireplace and no wood. (That may change, though!)

6. My coworker ended up in the ER after slipping on the ice over the pedestrian bridge coming into work this morning. She dislocated her shoulder. It's terrible! :(

7. I walked across campus to join my best friend for lunch, thinking it would be safer than trying to drive home. I was wrong. Fallen branches EVERYWHERE and more coming down (quite literally) every minute. It was spectacular to see everything covered in ice, though. Eerily beauitful, I say.

It's hard not to laugh when you hear a loud crack and see people and wildlife alike scatter and run for their lives as some branch comes crashing down. It's genuinely treacherous, but comical once we realize everyone's okay.

There are loud crashes outside every 10 or 15 minutes, along with sirens and an occassional scream, and the power keeps flickering here, so I'll wrap this up.

Photos!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 Comments:

Blogger Carlos said...

Those are amazing.
And looky here. I'm commenting so you can't say it has been AGES AGO since I have visited.
Los

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home