Friday, December 28, 2007

Resolve

These are a few of my personal resolutions for the New Year at hand. Who knows if I will achieve all of them, but I’d like to give it my best effort.

***

As ever, draw closer to God. I’d mention that it goes without saying, but then I wouldn’t have said it.

Be more intentional with others. This was a resolution I have held the past few years, and I don’t see any reason to discontinue it. Community is so vital to existence and to understanding God's character.

Read (and actually finish) a decent number of books. So far on my list are titles by Donald Miller, Anne Lamott, David Crowder, Douglas Adams and perhaps a little Tolstoy (along with a few other authors whose names escape me).

Try to write a novel. I think it’s time I give it a shot. I’m open to title and topic ideas.

Hone my photography skills. I’ve dabbled in shooting film here and there (mostly because all I own is a 35mm SLR…which I love). I’d like to grow in this and perhaps take a class at the community college.

Journal more often. I find it to be a very healthy habit, since most of my journal entries become conversations with God and necessarily introspective.

Get some art on my walls.
Seriously. It’s just sad having my paintings sitting on the floor leaning against the wall. I need to buy a hammer and some nails. And some Longbrake originals, as soon as he gets his online store running.

Play more shows. I played my first official show with my best friend Rhema and my good friend Symon a few months ago. And I certainly hope to have more to come. I think I need to sing my songs to more than just a wall, and I’ve been writing a lot lately. For those of you unfamiliar with this side of me, I play piano, sing and write songs that usually end up reflecting a variety of influences.

***

What about you? I’d love to hear your resolutions, no matter how significant or subtle they may be.

2 Comments:

Blogger tmamone said...

That reminds me, I got to start writing my book.

8:11 AM  
Blogger cool dad said...

Oo, thanks for the Longbrake link. Very cool stuff! I haven't made any resolutions yet. Usually they just go like:

1) See resolutions from 2001.

I confess that we have several things that need to go on walls that are just on the floor right now. And we have a hammer and plenty of nails!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home