Thursday, February 07, 2008

Twenty Three Years

Yesterday marked my 23rd year of existence on this planet. Twenty three years of a life that has been filled with joy, family, ups, downs, lessons learned and stripes earned, and some of the greatest friends I have ever known. I remember being so anxious a year ago about where I would be and who I would be with when I turned 23. I imagined I would be in some big city, working as a journalist or publicist, drinking organic coffee and living in some suburban apartment complex. I wasn't too far off, but I had no idea I would stay in Tulsa. It has been a very good, providential thing. I have said it before and I will say it again...our God is faithful.

I am fairly certain that I laughed more last night than I have in quite some time. I found myself surrounded by a table full of those near and dear to me (minus my flesh and blood family), and all throughout the day I was astounded at the way people came out of the woodwork to make sure I felt loved. What a day it was.

The timing of all this is impeccable. I am left with the assurance that I need in the midst of some difficult decisions. The kind of assurance that only comes when God overwhelms us with His love and peace. The kind of conviction that comes when I encounter the living God in all His justice and holiness. The kind of fire that is necessary to separate the pure from the impure. The kind of paradox that can only exist in His Kingdom, and still be perfect and true.

Let us journey on.

3 Comments:

Blogger cool dad said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! (one day late) God is clearly blessing you. It's encouraging that at the tender age of 23 you see it.

9:31 AM  
Blogger cool mum said...

Ah, happy birthday! Sounds like it was a good one!

p.s. that "tender age of 23" makes CD sound a bit creepy...I promise he's a nice normal guy even if he does use some odd expressions! =)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

No worries, CD and CM. No creepiness suspected. ;)

Thanks so much!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home