Sunday, April 13, 2008

An Aching Heart

Today, my heart hurts.

I can scarcely find the words to capture it. It goes beyond an emotion. I cannot even find the music to match my mood (a rare occurrence). All this is the result of a dangerous prayer—Break my heart with what breaks Yours, Father. And He did. It seems as though it is more than I can take.

It hurts for the precious baby boy who died of SIDS in his crib a few weeks ago. He was adopted just a few months before that by a couple that is preparing to break ground for an orphanage in Belize. There is simply no way to make sense of a situation like this, but hope it seems hope is in their midst. A good friend of mine arrived on the scene the next day for a three-week visit he had been planning for months. The timing of his presence there is impeccable.

It hurts for the people of Haiti, who protest and riot in the streets, empty plates in hand, because rising food costs have forced them to go hungry. One protester said, “If the police and U.N. troops want to shoot at us, that’s OK, because in the end if we are not killed by bullets we’ll die of hunger.” Shaun's brief yet potent take on the situation stopped me in my tracks as I read his blog today. He has a way of doing that to me.

It hurts for the injustice of a mega-corporations making millions and even billions off products we can fully live without, and would more than likely be better off without. Our system is upside down, in a horrifying way. I picture a homeless man starving and feeling without hope in the streets while someone walks by him, engrossed in the bells and whistles of their new iPhone. The finger points squarely back at me—at each of us—although there are many things we can do (and many of us have done) to reach out to the less fortunate around us.

All this is perplexing, to say the least. So much in our world is out of order and does not make sense. I don’t consider myself as one who has a flagrant or excessive lifestyle, but I still sigh at the thought that there is so much more that could be done to make right the tragedies like the one in Haiti.

I sponsor one child in Uganda, but I wish I could sponsor all the kids in the world. Or maybe just build a massive house and feed and love and provide for all the hungry, hurting, homeless folks. That sounds a lot like Heaven, doesn’t it? I guess that’s evidence that eternity is in our hearts.

And even though my heart feels heavy inside me on days like this, I would not ask for anything different. There is so much more I would like to say, but I’m not quite sure how to do this justice. For once, this writer is at a loss for words.

2 Comments:

Blogger flindta said...

I really appreciate your thoughts. So refreshing, thanks.
(I struggled with whether to use a period or an exclamation point at the end of that. I would have used an exclamation point to show how much I really enjoyed your post, but it seemed inappropriate given the content. So, here's one now that you can put it in context ! )

12:00 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

very cool. his post was hard to read...and that is probably a good thing.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home