Friday, April 18, 2008

The Spark of the Divine

Photobucket

“In every man there is the spark of the divine. The spark may be allowed to almost flicker out, or it will burn brightly as our faith and understanding permit...Nothing can hold back an idea whose time has come."
-Lee Braxton

It seems as though, lately, I have been learning how to dream again. I find myself surrounded by a bunch of wide-eyed dreamers, passionate about their purposes and discovering the path that God has for them. Up until recently, I was afraid to let my dreams be too big. It seemed like they were limited to some self-imposed reality...a cautious approach, to say the least. Then a friend said something that changed the way I thought.

"Who is the Maker of our dreams, anyhow? Who put them inside us?"

God has woven these dreams into our DNA. They are buried deep in our hearts, but are revealed in due season. I have seen things come about that I would never have imagined in my own life and in the lives of people around me. Some may write it off as the enthusiasm that often marks our years as twentysomethings. I beg to differ. I know plenty of people that are just as passionate now as they were when they were my age. God never stops instilling His passion and love into us...so why should we stop responding? If anything, the "spark of the divine" should turn into a blaze, growing stronger with each passing year in our lives. There is no stopping the Kingdom if we all would realize this and begin truly living out our purposes and passions (which inevitably intertwine).

I would like to say I have arrived, but I really have not. I am learning. I am growing. I am stumbling through it. But somehow, in His infinite grace, He is teaching me how to walk. How to breathe. How to dwell.

How to dream.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Rachel- thanks for your participation in our experiment. this whole idea has really blown up. thanks for being a part of what's happening.

4:05 PM  
Blogger tmamone said...

Beautiful.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Smartphone said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

"Nothing can hold back an idea whose time has come." I really like this. Sometimes it is so easy to forget who puts our dreams inside of us. Thanks for reminding me.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home