Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Coffee

There is something about wrapping my fingers around a warm cup of coffee that inspires a fond sentiment in me. It reminds me of talking with family and friends at a cozy coffee shop, playing cards, enjoying the company of one another. It takes me to the living room where we gather and share life together. The smell alone can take me back to mornings where I would crawl between my dad and his newspaper and nestle into his chest. I remember that he often smelled like coffee. I remember the way I would make a face when I took a sip from his half-empty cup on the window sill.

You see, up until recently, I was not much of a fan of coffee without a lot of frou-frou additions. Now my fondness of it is growing, with or without cream and sugar. It just took the experience of tasting a decent brew to sway my preference. I still favor tea, naturally, but coffee is a lovely option as well. I find that I am pretty entertaining when I have something highly caffeinated, so maybe I will stick to the decaf most of the time.

But I digress...

What is about simple things like a cup of coffee that can send us traipsing down memory lane or inspire a daydream? Sometimes all it takes is a breath of the summer air or a roll of thunder to steal me away from my present reality. Not that there is anything wrong with my present reality, because it is full of life and loved ones and challenge and growth, but I enjoy the opportunity to reminisce or to dream.

In my dreams I see visions of the future
But today we have today
And where will I find You?


I think that God knew how these things would move me. He created me to be moved by a beautiful sunset or sunrise, the smell of the seasons, the beautiful perspective and expression captured by the art of others. He designed me to embrace the way words can come alive on a page, the simple pleasure of a well-written song, the joy of rolling down the windows and turning up the music on a sunny day. He knew I would be ablaze with the experience of sitting around with guitars and friends and singing and talking about His faithfulness until we cannot keep our eyes open any longer. He knew the concept of His grace and mercy would overwhelm me and change me deeply, and that it would come in the most unexpected ways.

In the economy of mercy
I am a poor and begging man
In the currency of Grace
Is where my song begins
In the colors of Your goodness
In the scars that mark your skin
In the currency of Grace
Is where my song begins


He knew me long before I even existed. That very fact will never cease to amaze me. The Creator of the universe holds me closely to His heart. He is so far beyond me, yet so impossibly close to me. To you. To all of us. I am learning to let go more each day.

Where was I when the world was made?
I'm lost without You here
You knew my name when the world was made


///

[Lyrics: The Economy of Mercy by Jon Foreman + Switchfoot]

5 Comments:

Blogger drc said...

I'm not a fan of coffee. I am, however, a fan of that song, sunsets, memories, and this post.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you, drc! I appreciate the gesture.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Chris Seitz said...

You're the second person I've seen post on the subject of coffee this week. It's interesting to see what that little cup of heaven can accomplish! Good stuff.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Gracias, Chris. Coffee is quite wonderful, although my relationship with it is still growing. ;)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Selif said...

You wrote: "What is about simple things like a cup of coffee that can send us traipsing down memory lane or inspire a daydream?"

Easy, A good cup of Coffee in the morning is a moment of relaxation and mental preparation of the storms of the day.

God gave us coffee to keep us sane.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home