Tuesday, September 30, 2008

So swiftly arriving...

I saw leaves falling for the first time other day, caught up in the breeze and illuminated by brilliant rays of the rising sun as I drove to work. It took me aback, considering the weather has been a little warm for my taste lately. When I walked outside today, I felt a familiar chill in the air and wiped the dew off my car. I breathed in the air deeply, searching for the scent of the oncoming fall. It was there, somewhere.

This is the time of year that I put on moody/folksy autumnal music like Death Cab for Cutie, Nickel Creek, Jon Foreman and the like. I grab a pumpkin spice latte and go for evening walks in jeans, flip flops and a hoodie (my favorite clothing to wear). I find myself remembering more readily how big the universe is and how very small I am when I look up at the clear sky and breathe in the crisp air. I have come to enjoy fall more than I used to, not just for the brilliant colors of the leaves and the cooler weather, but for the rhythm in nature that reminds me of our Creator.

Creativity is central to my life, especially lately. As the season changes, I find that I am changing too. Putting down roots and drawing from the soil in which I have been planted. Learning how to rest, even if I have a lot going on. Planning for the future with open hands and a willing heart. And most of all, enjoying the community and life I find myself in the midst of here.

[And with that, here is a short poem...from me to you]

The season is upon us
Fall, so swiftly arriving

We kindle fires and hearts
We gather wood and memories
We set aside our summer fancies
And stretch our legs before we rest

We breathe the air and feel it
Fall, so swiftly arriving

//

What does Fall mean to you?

2 Comments:

Blogger tmamone said...

To me, fall is a change of seasons, both literally and figuratively. The extroverted days of summer make give way to the introspective days of autumn. It's a time when the year dies down and you start hoping that the next year will be better.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Paul Merrill said...

Falling leaves. Color in the trees. Our kids are back in school.

Too cold in the mornings to get out of bed easily.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home