Tuesday, October 07, 2008

To be held...

“You are loved,” he said as he embraced me. The night around us was quiet.

“I don’t know what to say,” I said, fighting tears once again.

I was so very weary from the fight.

“And that’s okay. You can just rest in that love…until you have something to say.”

The night weighed heavily in my heart. We were in the midst of a long drive away from people and places that hurt to leave, and I was in a very vulnerable place. It scared me more than anything. I was a very tightly contained mess, fighting hard to keep the tears from escaping. We found ourselves at an exit that resembled the middle-of-nowhere places I have grown so accustomed to in my many long drives and late nights. We had pulled over to switch places as we drew closer to home.

And in that moment, I realized His love was all around me. Even if the words that rocked my little world came from a friend that was just as human as me…I came to know another part of God's character and love. In the midst of my raw emotion and messy state of being, I felt Him move. He stretched out His arms and drew me closer. The timing of it all was inescapably perfect.

//

“We have been brought near by the blood of Christ,” he said, as his little girl crawled into his arms.

I was taken aback at the moment. We had gathered to study the book of Ephesians, and I found myself watching his daughter as she quietly played on the floor. Every now and then she would pipe up and tell us that she had read that same story in her Bible. She had read her entire children’s Bible from cover to cover.

Oh, to have the faith of a child…

What is it about a child crawling into your arms and nestling into you that can make the most calloused of hearts melt? I’m yet to experience this with my own children, but the glimpses I have gotten with the children of my brothers and my friends is enough to show me more of the depth of my own Father’s love for me.

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ…

Once and for all, His death and resurrection broke apart a deeply settled hatred and division between Jew and Gentile. He brought together all humanity. He eliminated our excuses to be divided.

“I feel like I need to find a Jew or something and let him know!” he said. We all had a good laugh.

What happy news!

Nothing can separate us from Him, and in essence, nothing could separate us from one another, regardless of race, creed, background, story, mistakes, circumstances or culture. Like a daughter in her daddy’s arms, we are tucked safely into the place where we belong. We are made whole. We are made clean. We are made His.

We are held.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Seitz said...

Beautiful... enough said.

3:50 PM  
Blogger cool mum said...

great post, rachel! love the imagery! and yes, a child crawling up into your arms does melt the heart. maybe because mine is always running around and trying to escape so much?

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home